Salt Dough Decorations
You will need:
- 1 cup salt (The finer the salt you use, the finer the grain of the ornaments)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- rolling pin
- cookie cutters
- rubber stamps
- ink pad
- a straw
1. Mix all the flour, salt and water together to form the dough. Knead it for a few minutes, make sure everything is combined.
2. Next you roll out the dough to about 1 cm, using the rolling pin. Don’t make it to thin, otherwise your tags might break or look a little flimsy.
3. Now for the fun part. Start decorating the dough using rubber stamps and different colour ink. Remember you can use “blank” stamps to create a blind embossing effect.
4. Next you can start pressing shapes out of the dough. Use the straw to make a little hole at the top.
5. When finished you can lay them out on a wire rack to dry. If you’re having warm weather they’ll take about 3 days to air dry, but in cooler and more humid temperature they might take up to 6 days.
6. You can also dry them in an oven at 100 – 120°C for at least 3 hours.